Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Day One Post Surgery

This is me blogging to you now!
I made it through the surgery! Everything actually went really well. We arrived at Bethesday around 0510 checked in to patient admission and then went up to the APU where we waited. Dr. Ercole and Dr. Brooks came to see me there and make sure everything was the same as before that none of my medical history had changed. We were then taken to the Operating Room waiting area where I met my anesthesiologist resident Dr. Tellington, he was super nice too. Thats one thing I have to give to Bethesda, all of the Doctor's I have came in contact with since I started this journey have been amazing! I havn't had an IV since I was about 5 so Dr. Tellington tried to put one in my left hand first, lets just say I have tiny, tiny, tiny veins. It didn't work so he had to remove it and we put it in my right hand with a small needle and it worked perfectly. He didn't really hurt me on either sticks so I was happy! I figured my left hand would be bruised pretty bad today but it isn't at all. After the IV was in I was given some fluids, we waited there for a few more minutes and Dr. Ercole came back to see us before they gave me the good drugs to put me out, he wanted to let me know that it would be himself and Dr. Paulette doing the surgery because Dr. Hines had gotten sick and had to go home. After that I said bye to my mom and Dr. Tellington gave me some Versed which makes you drunk without even having to drink and alcohol! He gave me some extra drugs too because my mom mentioned that she has had a history of being nauseas and vommitting after every time of being put under with anesthesia. I started getting a little woozy not long after he pushed the drugs into the IV. I remember being wheeled into the operating room and moving over from the stretcher to the operating table and that was all she wrote! I was done for! The surgery went well, I vaguely remember waking up in the operating room recovery room with compression stockings on my legs and a nice lady sitting beside me talking to me while I was coming to. Then I was back out again. I remember being wheeled back to the APU on the stretcher where we passed my mom in the waiting room. I tried to give a little smile :). This was about 1100 in the afternoon. My mom came by to hang out with me. They gave me some apple juice to drink, I sipped it a little. My lips feel pretty weird. My left side of my face is numbish all the way up to my eye. I had blood dried to my teeth and on my lips but I wasn't trying to win a beauty contest or anything so I was perfectly fine with it. My nose kept bleeding so thats why I had been wearing the little half mask with gauze in it. We thought they came like that but believe it or not they just take a full mask and cut a little off of each end to make it... great way of using their resources! I had a wonderful corpsman taking care of me in APU recovery. Her name was Monica. Liam and Logan came up maybe an hour before they let me go home. I was out when they got there. I slept quite a bit in that little reclining chair, it was comfy and I wish I had one at home! I havn't been in alot of pain because they moved two nerves in my face during the surgery which desensitized them, so that's also why my face is numbish. It should come back after a while, but it doesn't really bother me. I actually have lips with the little bit of swelling that has gone on, I call them my Angelina Jolie lips ;) hehe. I do have a slight gap between my two front teeth even though the expander has not been activated yet. I go in on Monday to do the first turn. I have to expand my upper jaw to somewhere around 5 or 6 mm.



I am doing fine. My mom is here, my little sister Logan, and Liam is here. I have great caretakers! Especially my little sister Logan. She wants to be a teacher but I think she would make a great nurse! She made me an amazing peach milkshake last night! I am on a liquid diet. I can't chew anything. That may change when I go to the Doctor on Monday but I doubt it. The only other thing that has gone on since I got back home is that my AC in my house isn't working right. It was 88 degrees last night. We called them around 7 or so and they said they would try to send someone out today. No word as of yet though.

I will keep everyone posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment